Saturday, February 18, 2012

James Campbell... One Year Later

James Campbell saves greyhounds. The importance of keeping greyhounds crated in a kennel. What you won't hear from Grey2K USA (Grey2K).
On Feb 16, 2011, a greyhound kennel at the historic Derby Lane greyhound track caught fire just before 3am due to an electrical problem with the heating & cooling unit. James Campbell, the kennel owner, ran into the actively burning building, saving the lives of the 46 greyhounds in his care. He pulled the last dog out of its crate as the roof started to collapse. Thankfully, the dogs were safely crated in the "warehouse" (as described by Grey2K) kennel set up so despised by the Carey Nation, which allowed James Campbell to get them out quickly in an orderly fashion.  James Campbell lost nearly everything that night, but he saved all the dogs while at risk of losing his own life.  Here are his musings on that event, one year later...

"Today is the one year anniversary of my kennel catching fire at Derby Lane.  It's the day I felt strength, fear, sadness, happiness, sorrow, and pride at the same time.  I still wonder why I was able to save all my wonderful babies.


Michelle and I were supposed to go back to Naples that night.  At the last minute, we decided to stay in St. Pete for the night. How was it possible that that decision was made?  What made me answer the phone in the middle of the night?

I have thought about all these things for a year now.  I cannot even begin to have the answers. What I do know is how lucky I am to have had the people around me that day to help get the greyhounds to safety. I know the pain and sadness just thinking about what could have been. The happiness and joy knowing how it turned out. The sorrow for losing almost everything.  The peace knowing the most important part of my kennel was saved that night. I was so proud that day. Not of what I did, but of all my dogs.  They gave to me their faith and trust to me. Their unwavering love and commitment to me.  They never knew they were in danger. They only knew I was there to protect them. They knew they were safe. 
Lt. Joel Granata, St. Petersburg Fire Rescue


I want to thank all the people who helped that early morning.  I want to thank the strangers who extended helping hands.  Those who had no idea who I was and decided to help us rebound from this.  The kind words and encouragement of these people provided the strength needed.  You cannot even imagine what your kindness has done for me.


I will never forget our first racer back on the track after the fire...  Backwood Johnny romped to an impressive victory.  He brought goose bumps and tears as he cruised down the stretch that day.  


I still get emotional thinking about that day. It's no longer sadness and sorrow. It's become happiness and joy. Despite everything that was lost, I gained so much more.


February 15 might just be another day to you.  It's the day my daughter said to me... "Daddy, you're a hero. You saved 46 lives."


It's the day I will never forget."


Kennel Owner Rescues 46 Dogs


Derby Lane Greyhounds - Fire

Baynews 9 - Derby Lane Fire


Compare this reality to that made up and propagandized by the Carey Nation (Grey2K and its minions). According to the Carey Nation, greyhound racing people are abusive, uncaring, only in it for the money...  


If that were the case, does it make any sense for a man to run into a burning building, risking his life, to save dogs?  You know... some things just don't compute, no matter how many times you bully people with it.  It doesn't compute that racing greyhound people think of these dogs as "disposable", especially when you have people running INTO a burning building to save them.
Compare his actions, putting his life on the line for his dogs, with that of Christine Dorchak. She neglected her dog to protest Skechers. How?  Christine Dorchak, Grey2K President & General Counsel, intentionally dropped her dog's leash at a protest on a city street to hand out leaflets. I don't know what those particular leaflets say, however, you can bet your sweet bippy that if her dog darted out into traffic and was killed by a car, it would NOT be her fault but the fault of greyhound racing.  Willful negligence.... 


James Campbell states in a follow-up to his actions and his thoughts on the drivel spouted by Grey2K, "It's time to get the truth out there.  WE love our dogs. If I had to do it again, I would.  A hundred times, a thousand times, however many times that they may need me.  I'll be there."


My money is on James Campbell.  I'm guessing he would NEVER let a greyhound out in public, on a street, without its leash securely held in his hands.  He's there for the dogs, are you?  


Yours in greyhounds....



8 comments:

  1. To be honest, I wouldn't stoop to Grey2K level of pettiness. My greyhounds all do very reliable stays and I would have no problem dropping a leash just about anywhere. I don't think that makes me a bad greyhound owner. Just don't want to point fingers and make assumptions like they do.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. But dropping a leash does put your dog at risk, it doesn't matter who you are. We are here to protect our greyhounds, not put them at any risk. Remember, trust is a deadly disease.

      Delete
    2. We aren't trying to stoop down to their level. We are trying to expose their hypocrisy... how they condemn racing folk for "endangering the dogs", yet one of their head honchos endangers her dog by dropping its leash.

      Your reputation precedes you and we know that your greyhounds are very well trained. We know that you do obedience work with them and that several of your dogs have had great success in obedience work and agility trials. Even if you were to drop a leash, I suspect you have a better understanding of greyhounds and that even if you aren't holding their lead, you are aware of your surroundings and your dogs possible reactions to them.

      We do not know the level of training that Ms. Dorchak's dog has had, if any. In the photo, it appears that she is so focused on her cause that she is oblivious to her hound and her surroundings. That is a recipe for disaster.

      In addition, she is setting a bad example for adopters. The greatest portion of greyhound pet owners do not train their dogs to stay or recall. After all, as I was told years ago, making the dogs work after they've been retired and "been through hell on the race track" is "cruel". The AR's expect these dogs to be put on a pedestal and to not do anything post retirement: no agility, no obedience, no coursing... nothing. Every year, we hear numerous stories of greyhounds that have bolted out the door, bolted away from its owner dragging a leash, and other stories of greyhounds getting lost. I would hope that you agree, no matter how good a stay your greyhound does, it only takes a moment, a distraction, a plastic bag or a squirrel to incite the dog to chase. And, should that happen on a busy, city street... Well... I really don't want to think about it.

      On a city street, greyhounds should be held securely on a leash. For those who choose differently, they need to accept the consequences of their decision.

      Delete
    3. No matter how well trained he or she is, a Greyhound is still a sighthound. A bird, a bit of paper, any fast moving object can set the sighthound instinct in motion. You should be proud of yourself for training your dog to behave well in public. Many people don't. But you can't change an instinct that's been in place for thousands of years. My dogs are reliable in public, too. But I don't trust my human training to supplant my dogs' God-given instinct. Should that instinct kick in and one of my precious boys run into traffic, I'd never forgive myself. I do, and will always, have a firm hand on the leash. Just in case.

      Delete
  2. I quietly celebrated James Campbell a year ago as I sat, heart pounding, reading about the fire that could have taken the lives of both James and his precious hounds. I will celebrate James again on this, the anniversary of what could have been such a deadly tragedy, and thank the powers that be, for the dedication and love of this kennel owner for his hounds.

    L.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We say "risk your life" so flippantly sometimes -- we say it when joking around, we say it about business decisions, but James Campbell really did it. He could easily have died in that fire, but he chose to take that chance in order to save his beloved dogs. If, as G2K is fond of saying, those dogs are mere slaves, expendable props to be abused, neglected, and exploited by evil people who don't give a whit about them, then why did James Campbell choose to risk being burned alive to save them? He wouldn't gain anything monetarily by pulling those dogs out of harm's way. Why bother?

    The answer is simple. He did it out of love and respect. These dogs were his friends and colleagues. He valued each of those 42 greyhound lives as much as he valued his own. This man made a choice that could have ended very badly -- but he chose to either save the dogs or die trying. There's a special place in Heaven for you, James Campbell. You did the right thing. G2K, go thou and do likewise.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I would never let a greyhound off his/her leash in the streets or anywhere close to one. I do not care how well trained they are. How many obedience classes they have taken.. etc..
    Doing so is only asking for an accident to happen.
    Keep in mind they will reach top speed in only a few a strides.
    Even if you are paying attention to them, you have no shot at stopping them from running off to chase whatever they please.

    Shame on you Christine Dorkchak for putting your greyhound in danger.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think the point has to be made that no one is stooping to Grey2K's level; but for years the racing and pro-racing (the real pro-Greyhound) community has taken the high road and presumed that people would see through the pettiness and lies of the other side. And Look What Happened --- The tracks in New England are gone, the jobs, the livelihoods ---- don't have to recount all that. People DO have to start fighting back. Yes, it's good to try to do it from a higher level than they do but it has to be done and we can never, ever presume that people will simply "get it".

    So not only am I humbled by and grateful for James Campbell's example, but I know that his heroism needs to be remembered and the Greyhound community needs to keep on standing up for what is right and for their dogs and their way of life. I am proud to know you.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for reading our blog! Be advised, however, WE DO NOT POST ANONYMOUS comments. If you believe in what you are writing, PLEASE SIGN IT!