Tuesday, March 20, 2012

An Adopter Speaks....

A greyhound adopter speaks out! Personal view on greyhound racing, greyhound adoption and the anti-racing, animal rights movement by Grey2K USA (Grey2 K).
By Jeff Blitch

I have been reading more and more about anti-racing groups and it concerns me greatly. I have been an owner of retired greyhounds for 7 years now and currently have 3 greyhounds as part of my family 2 retired racers and 1 that never raced (just don’t tell her because she thinks she did). The latest two adoptions came thru It's A Grey Area Adoption, Inc.

Pups Being Socialized at the Moore Farm
Here’s my perspective on racing greyhounds and the kennels that are a part of it. THANK YOU!

I don’t think people realize that without racing we wouldn't have the ability to have these majestic dogs as part of our family. The kennels that raise, train, and race these dogs have done all the hard work for us. When you adopt a grey they are house trained, crate trained, socialized, loving, have had a trips to the vet for all of their shots and their teeth cleaned, and really ready to just go home and start life with you. I have yet to find anywhere that you can adopt a dog that is that well trained and taken care of. Then after all that time invested in these dogs the kennels let them be adopted and we get all the rewards of all their hard work. That in itself shows me how much they care about these dogs.

I have read where some groups say that the racing greyhounds aren’t properly taken care of. Well I have seen greys strait from the track (my first adoption came from the track) and I have yet to see a single dog that wasn’t in GREAT physical condition come off the track, after all they are pro athletes.
JBS HighStepper

What I'm trying to say is I will continue to support racing and racing kennels and make sure to tell them THANK YOU for giving me the chance to be a part of this great breed. I want to do what ever I can to make sure racing continues because I can't see me not having retired greyhounds in my house for the rest of my life.

I hope that anyone who loves their greyhounds as much as I do would agree with me and support racing to make sure we have retired racers to bless our families (and the families that have yet to discover what we know) far into the future.

THANK YOU RACE OWNERS AND KENNELS for all you do

More Info...
This was originally posted on Its A Grey Area Greyhound Adoptions Face Book page.

Crazy Wiki
It's a Grey Area Greyhound Adoption was founded in January of 2010 by Lesley Tierney Ezkovich and Brittaney Spruill. Through our combined years of experience and a dedicated group of people to support us, we formed It's a Grey Area Greyhound Adoption Group. We are dedicated to the proper placement of the retired racing greyhound along with the formation of a fun, committed greyhound group. We are currently awaiting our 501c3 status.

Our commitment to greyhounds continues beyond the day we hand the leash to the new family. We are here for whatever an adoptive family could need. In good times and bad. We are there for the greyhounds we place, as well as those we have never met before.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for reading our blog! Be advised, however, WE DO NOT POST ANONYMOUS comments. If you believe in what you are writing, PLEASE SIGN IT!